Mukesh Ambani is one of the great Indian business tycoons in India. He is the chairman and Managing Director of Reliance Industries Limited. He was chosen as ET business leader of the year 2006 and ranked 42nd among the worlds most respected business leaders. Mukesh Ambani is one of the foremost entrepreneurs of India. According to the Forbes (2009) list of the world’s billionaires Mukesh was the 7th richest man in the world and richest man in India, have a net worth of $ 19.5 Billion.
Mukesh Dhirubhai Ambani was born on April 19, 1957 in Mumbai, Maharashtra. He is the elder son of the legendry businessman Dhirubhai Ambani. Mukesh finished his Bachelors in Chemical Engineering from University of mumbai and did Masters in Business Administration from university of Stanford, USA.
Mukesh ambani started his career in Reliance Industry since 1981 and was the brain behind Reliance's backward alliance from textiles into polyester fibres and later into petrochemicals. During the process of backward integration, Mukesh Ambani had the creation of 51 new, world-class manufacturing facilities including different technologies that took up Reliance's manufacturing capacities manifold.
World's biggest grassroots petroleum refinery at Jamnagar is the brainchild of Mukesh Ambani. He was the incharge of Dhirubhai's dream project Reliance Infocomm. Even though later the split in the Reliance Empire, Reliance Infocomm went to his brother Anil Ambani. Mukesh Ambani favored to build up one of the world’s leading tele communications Companies, Reliance Communications, earlier known as Reliance Infocom. Reliance Communications went to his brother Anil Ambani of ADAG, later the business empire got split in the year of 2005.
Mukesh Ambani introduced the organized retail sector with Reliance Retail, opening hundreds of stores across several states. The stores serve various consumer needs and operate under different names such as Reliance Fresh, Reliance Digital and Reliance Mart. He also entered into an agreement with Haryana Government to develop a Special Economic Zone (SEZ) with an investment running into thousands of crores.
- Chairman and managing director of reliance industries group
- ET business leader of the year 2006
- Ranked 42nd among the worlds most respected business leaders.
- According to the Forbes (2009) Mukesh was the 7th richest man in the world and richest man in India, have a net worth of $ 19.5 Billion.
- He was conferred the World Communication Award for the Most Influential Person in Telecommunications in 2004 by Total Telecom,
- Mukesh Ambani was also conferred the Asia Society Leadership Award by the Asia Society, Washington D.C., USA.